At David Evans and Associates, Inc. (DEA), our philosophy is to find outstanding professionals and give them the freedom and support to do what they do best. For over 40 years, DEA has been leading complex transportation, energy, water resources, and land development projects nationwide. Our multidisciplinary teams partner with clients to design innovative solutions that address the unique needs of each project. The firm has over 30 offices in 11 states and employs approximately 750 people. DEA is an employee-owned corporation and consistently ranks among ENR’s Top 100 Pure Design Firms in the U.S.
DEA’s Marine Services division is an award-winning leader in the field of hydrographic and geophysical surveying. DEA Marine Services is staffed by a highly experienced group of hydrographers, surveyors, engineers, and scientists with wide-ranging expertise in hydrography, oceanography, marine geology and geophysics, geodesy, and geospatial science. We are recognized as trusted advisors to our clients and take pride in our ability to develop innovative field programs and geospatial products to address the specific objectives of each project.
DEA Marine Services is in search of an experienced, project-oriented Hydrographer to join our team of professionals. This position will be based in our Vancouver, WA office, but will require frequent travel to remote and/or offshore project locations to support hydrographic and/or geophysical fieldwork. Fieldwork opportunities will include large-scale, offshore surveys aboard our 82’ survey vessel Blake or other large vessels in addition to smaller scale coastal, estuarine or riverine surveys with trailerable launches, watercraft, and/or remotely operated vehicles. When not in the field, the candidate will be expected to provide significant support and/or oversight to our geospatial data processing workflows, perform quality control checks on work products, and produce high quality project deliverables.
- Calibrate, operate, troubleshoot, and maintain hydrographic survey equipment including single beam, multibeam, and side scan sonar systems, positioning instruments and motion sensors, sound speed sensors, and other ancillary equipment such as sediment sampling devices and hydraulic systems.
- Operate survey-related software for data acquisition, navigation, and survey documentation including review of GNSS data streams and software to confirm accurate positioning
- Coordinate and collaborate with the project team(s) to review project plans and provide project updates
- Perform in-field quality assurance, data management, and documentation activities
- Conduct in-field mobilization and demobilization of survey vessels and equipment
- Work independently or as a team to analyze and process hydrographic data, prepare survey documentation, produce project deliverables, and perform quality control checks of work products and procedures
- B.S. in Marine Science, Physical Science, Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- 5 years of hydrographic and/or geophysical survey experience
- Familiarity with NOAA and USACE survey procedures
- Professional certification/licensure preferable, but not required
- Knowledge of all aspects of hydrographic surveying including vessel positioning, tides and tidal zoning, survey vessel configuration, cartography, sound velocity concepts, sonar data acquisition, interpretation, and troubleshooting, and survey documentation procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of hydrographic data acquisition, processing, and analysis packages including Caris, Hypack, and Chesapeake SonarWiz
- Demonstrated commitment to established safety procedures
Salary and job classification will be commensurate with experience. Teleworking will be considered for this position.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Vacation/Sick/Holiday Pay
- 401k and Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
DEA is proud to be an AA/EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Apply online at: https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu03/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=DEAINC&cws=37&rid=3952