Geodynamics is seeking a Marine Operations Manager to supervise operational readiness of our hydrographic survey vessels and physical plant operations. The successful candidate will be highly organized with previous experience in vessel operations management and have demonstrated strong interpersonal and team management skills. The Marine Ops Manager will directly supervise and schedule all shop personnel and our in-house and contract vessel captains both onsite and during field operations. While the position is primarily located in Morehead City, NC, there will be periodic travel for project site visits, rotations as a relief captain (preferred but not required), or travel to conferences / trade shows to develop new client opportunities.
The successful candidate will manage and advance overall marine and facility operations, ensure compliance with safety protocols, and work closely with leadership on personnel and asset scheduling, budgets, and planning for vessel maintenance and improvement. The Marine Ops Manager will oversee a fleet of 5 to 10 small survey vessels (15’ to 32’) and at least one extended duration (>50’) survey vessel. Applications will be accepted through April 25, 2021 and the successful candidate should be available to start by June 15, 2021.
Primary Responsibilities / Duties
- Serve as the top-level supervisor for all marine and facility operations, who will work with project management to schedule crews, assets, and resources.
- Direct and manage both in-house and contract vessel captains in accordance with federal regulation and Geodynamics policies.
- Direct and manage assigned shop crews working on survey vessels and / or facilities.
- Address performance management issues and provide unbiased reviews of team members per Geodynamics HR policies and procedures.
Business Management & Development:
- Work closely with Geodynamics’ CFO to develop and manage an annual vessel operations budget for at-sea ops and maintenance, and to plan and forecast costs for new vessels, retrofits and equipment.
- Ongoing review and optimization of operational costs to ensure optimum allocation and utilization of resources within the budgetary framework.
- Manage marine and facilities operational activities to optimize revenue earning capability and profitability utilizing best practices, organization, and improved resource allocation. Responsible for continuous process improvement.
- Write and manage bid proposals for charted vessel / captain activities, vessel equipment upgrades, repairs or retrofits.
- Work with Geodynamics leadership to develop and maintain a marketing program for various offshore opportunities, specifically including offshore wind development.
- Facilitate the coordination of cruise planning and vessel use for hydrographic survey projects.
- Actively lead or participate in effective marine safety meetings on a regular basis. Improve or establish safety protocols specific to vessel and survey operations.
- Enhance / Develop PQSs as part of our onboarding process for newly hired people and those unfamiliar with vessel, equipment, and shop safety.
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field and 5 years of related marine operations supervisory experience, including 2 years of supervisory experience; or, a Master's degree and 3 years of related marine operations experience, including 2 years of supervisory experience; or, 8 years of related marine operations experience, including at least 2 years supervisory experience.
- A valid driver's license with a clean driving record, and U.S. passport.
- Ability to periodically perform field work including travel and weekends, and the physical ability to lift objects over 50lbs.
- Strong MS Office and computer capabilities with a desire to use technology as a tool for process improvements and overall program efficiency.
- Experience in the operations and management of research vessels and / or previous role as a Marine Operations & Facilities Manager is desirable.
- Experience working on boats in the coastal and offshore environment with at-sea experience preferably on or with Research / Hydrographic Survey Vessels.
- Possession (current or past) of a U.S. Coast Guard OUPV, Master, Ocean or Near Coastal.
- Proven leadership and people / project management skills.
- Work experience planning and adhering to budgets for vessel operation and maintenance.
Compensation / Benefits
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Paid leave includes annual sick leave, 7 federal holidays, with a base of 10 days paid vacation that increases with time milestones at the company.
- Employees participate in 401k retirement plan and receive health, dental, and life insurance benefits.
- Team / family environment with a commitment to continuing education and advancement.
Geodynamics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this position at: https://geodynamics.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27&source=aWQ9Nw%3D%3D